Since 1979, Citizens Energy has identified and capitalized on market opportunities to generate millions of dollars in revenue that have been channeled to social ventures and charitable causes in the United States and abroad. Our earliest business deals blossomed into a variety of commercial activities, including oil trading, oil exploration and production, electric power and natural gas marketing, mail-order service pharmaceuticals, and environmental business consulting. Some of Citizens Energy’s early business innovations included:
- In the pre-deregulated energy market of the early 1980s, Citizens Energy played a pioneering role in electricity trading, becoming the first non-utility to win a federal license to trade power between utilities.
- Citizens Energy also became a leading marketer of natural gas to Local Distribution Companies after successfully challenging monopoly control of the nation's natural gas pipelines.
- One of the largest independent lifters of crude oil from Angola, Nigeria, and Venezuela, with over $1.2 billion in annual sales.
- A leading innovator in the energy conservation field, achieving average energy savings of up to 40 percent through retrofits in clients' properties.
- A major marketer of mail-order prescription drugs, helping to sell billions of dollars of pharmaceuticals while achieving 40 percent savings over conventional delivery.
Profits from these and other business ventures have supported charitable programs as innovative as the businesses that financed them. Citizens Energy develops projects and continues to seek out innovative opportunities and partners in a variety of areas, including renewable energy, carbon markets, electrical transmission and other business areas.